Colosseum – Valentyne Suite – 1969

Colosseum Valentyne Suite Cover Art

The second Colosseum album from 1969. In the wake of James Blake winning the Mercury Music and James Litherland, the singer guitarist on this album  being his father, I decided to listen to it. I have had this record since the seventies in the archive. Jazzy, rocky, bluesy, proggy and with great cover art. This record was the very first release on the vertigo label.

You can hear it here in its entirety but find yourself a vinyl copy if only to marvel at the cover art.

A request in the comments as to what is inside the gatefold.

COLOSSEUM_VALENTYNE_SUITE_VERTIGO_SWIRL_PHILIPS_LP_IN

Tags:

6 Responses to “Colosseum – Valentyne Suite – 1969”

1. Beefheart Smiles November 1, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

Hey Marty! Very nice to know you’re posting frequently here.

Haven’t heard this one though. I will sooner. What’s in the cover art? Is it a gatefold album?

• Marty Willson-Piper November 1, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

Hey There, Beefheart Smiles,
      In response to your question I have added the inside picture on the gatefold to the post. Enjoy the record.

2. Beefheart Smiles November 1, 2013 at 4:11 pm #

Thanks for the quick response Marty! Nice artwork! Think I’ll return quite often to this site. Keep up the good work!

Hoping for a post with one or two of the records you bought in Parque Centenario, Buenos Aires, Argentina!

Big hug from the South!!!

• Marty Willson-Piper November 1, 2013 at 6:49 pm #

I am hoping to get a whole piece out on the rock music of Argentina that I discovered when I was there. Who are you I must know you if you know where I was searching for records? I don’t know you from your user name?

3. Beefheart Smiles November 1, 2013 at 6:54 pm #

That’s a good piece of news, it’s always nice to have opinions from someone who knows and IT’S NOT an argentinian.

I’m Mariano Sterpetti, we’re friends in Facebook and I know Pepe and Adriana, we played together in a short-lived band.

HUGE fan of the Church by the way

4. darkoflagg1 November 3, 2013 at 11:47 pm #

I was lucky to hear a bootleg of Colosseum 2 Live In Koln 1977 and it became once of my most listened albums in the 90′s. A sound board recording but ferocious playing fusion/prog from Gary Moore minus the blues licks! and a more intense energy than their studio releases. I haven’t heard much from the original line up so I’m giving this one a red hot go!

Add Comment Register